Saturday, April 30, 2011

cake in a jar

Yeah, you read it right. Cake in a jar, biatches. I was browsing the internet and saw a photo of the clever concept, and well... you know me and cake. Forget about it? Psh, ya right! Those puppies didn't stand a chance!

The recipe(s) call for "canning jars" aka mason jars. Apparently, they can be found at Walmart, HEB, your local hardware store, or the internet. Well, I don't have a drop of patience in my body, so scratch that internet option. Also, while I was out today, I was only near a Dollar Tree, Joann Fabrics and Crafts, and IKEA. Well, none of them had what I needed, but I did find a reasonable substitue at IKEA.

they're so cute! if they had cheeks, i'd pinch 'em!
Make sure to clean inside and outside of the jars before using them... who knows how many dirty paws have touched them. Bleh! After cleaning them, I sprayed the inside of each jar with some PAM. Thanks, Pam, for making my cake not stick. You're a doll.


Next, fill the jars with your cake batter. I used a simple Betty Crocker (hey, betty!) Devil's Food box mix, and added one teaspoon of raspberry extract. Yep.. I'm salivating just typing. I'm so attractive.

don't forget to lick the beaters!
Quick side note-- Don't fill the jars up as much as I did. I had a slight cake over flow issue, which was resolved by me scrubbing eating cake off the side of the jar. It's just an unneeded hassle.

cake volcanos!
Back on track. Put the jars on a cookie sheet and place in the oven at 350 degrees. The small jars took 20 minutes, and the large took 30. You will know they're ready when you touch the top and it bounces back at you. No, it won't hit you in the face. I wish it would though... how awesome would that be? Eating cake without having to actually do the work of spooning it into your mouth yourself? Can you saw awesome?! Or fat... :-/

After they're out of the oven, let them cool ALL THE WAY before you put the frosting on. (No, I did not wait... and that's why mine look like pooooo. I told you I wasn't patient.)

I made a raspberry buttercream frosting from scratch.

Ingredients:
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup softened butter
2 tsp. raspberry extract
add milk as needed for desired consistency

After pacing the kitchen for about 10 minutes waiting for the cake to cool, I decided to just forgo that whole "cooling idea". Cooling-shmooling. I like icing. And one little layer on top of these cakes were just not going to be enough for me, so I decided to remove half of each cake and smear on a layer of the ooey goodness.

aye, where's the rest of the cake, yo?

Once the cake is removed and set aside, squeeze on a layer of frosting, replace the cake, and top the entire thing with another generous layer of frosting. And viola! Cupcake in a jar!

eat me!
Hope you guys try and like this! It's delish!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Aaaah that's so cool!! such a good idea as a gift too!! I think if I make them, I'll fill them up too much just so I can gobble up the overspill!haha! :D

    ReplyDelete