Thursday, June 9, 2011

sour cream enchiladas

As of late, I have really been trying my hand at cooking... and I'm not so bad at it! Not only does it save us money because Raymond can take leftovers for lunch, but it has started to become something I really enjoy doing.

Ever since I was little, I liked to cook. My mother tells me about the times she'd be in another room, hear me talking to somebody, and come to find out that I was in the kitchen "hosting my cooking show". While back then I was probably giving tutorials on how to spread the peanut butter and jelly on the bread, I can definitely say that my skills have majorly matured and improved! Take last night for example... I made these bomb dot com Sour Cream Enchiladas.

I was doing my usual blog creeping and found the recipe for these here. Of course, my version is slightly modified, to make it much simpler and quicker!

Around our place, time is limited. While I enjoy cooking, I don't have the time to clean, cut, skin, and boil an entire chicken BEFORE I even get started on the actual meal itself. So, to make it easy on myself, I bought a pre-cooked chicken from HEB, a box of chicken broth, I didn't fry the tortillas (saved our bodies from that much more oil), and pre-diced chilies. I'd say I saved myself a good 30 minutes, just the way I like it!

PS- Seeing that I could eat an entire block of cheese for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, I'm trying very hard to skim down on my cheese intake, so I definitely didn't use as much as the recipe called for.

Sour Cream Enchiladas
2-½ cups Cooked, Shredded Chicken
2 cups Chicken Broth
1 Tablespoons Canola Oil
10 whole Corn Tortillas
3 whole 4 Oz Cans Whole Green Chilies, Diced
1 teaspoon Paprika
½ cups Heavy Cream
2 Tablespoons Butter
2 Tablespoons Flour
1 cup Sour Cream
2-½ cups Monterey Jack Cheese, Grated
Salt And Pepper, to taste

Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in skillet over medium heat. Add chicken, half of the green chilies, and 1/2 teaspoon paprika. Stir together. Add 1/2 cup chicken broth and stir. Add cream and stir, allowing mixture to bubble and get hot. Turn off heat and set aside.


In a separate large skillet, melt butter and sprinkle in flour. Whisk together and cook over medium heat for one minute. Pour in 1 1/2 cups chicken broth. Whisk together and cook for another minute or two. Stir in the other half of the chilies. Reduce heat, then stir in sour cream. Add 1 1/2 cups grated cheese and stir to melt. Add 1/2 teaspoon paprika. Check seasoning and add salt and pepper as needed.


To assemble, spoon chicken mixture on top of tortillas, one by one. Top with plenty of cheese and roll up. Place seam side down in a 9 x 13 casserole dish.


Pour sour cream sauce all over the top of the tortillas. Top with extra cheese if you’d like, then bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.




These were absolutely, hands down, the best thing I've ever made. Yes, I am a sucker for anything with sour cream, but Raymond is not a fan the stuff and he loved them. So much so, that he is taking the rest of the dish for lunch and I'm stuck with nothin'! I'm extremely jealous, so he's lucky that I love him!

2 comments:

  1. Wow these look amazing!! I am definitely pinning them to my to-cook list! And it's so cute that you used to host your own cooking shows :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried sour cream in my enchiladas. Good idea! I love how they are so easy to prepare and make great leftovers, too.

    ReplyDelete